Sunday, March 2, 2014

23+ Ways to Motivate Professional Learning

What motivates learners?

Not just school-aged students but anybody trying to learn something

What motivates people to learn what you're teaching?

The book Engaging Minds in the Classroom: The Surprising Power of Joy is about school-aged students, but it includes 5 motivational generalizations* that identify what all learners need to believe about themselves and the topic / objective in order to be motivated to learn it.

You can teach it, but if they're not motivated to learn it, then it's probably not happening. Learning is a choice.

The 5 motivational generalizations are:

"adaptive self-efficacy and competence beliefs motivate students" (believing in yourself and your abilities motivates you)

"I can do this; I am good at this; I have the ability to become good at this."

"adaptive attributions and control beliefs motivate students" (believing you can do it if you try)

"I am in control of the outcome; if I put effort in, then I will learn this."

"higher levels of interest and intrinsic motivation motivate students" (you want to do it)

"I want this; I am not doing this only because I have to; This interests me."

"higher levels of value motivate students (you think it's important)"

"What I'm doing matters to me."

"goals motivate and direct students" (you know what it takes to get it)

"I know how I'm going to learn this; I know what I need to do to get there."

Instructors who understand the principles of motivation are more likely to produce learners who demonstrate a joy of learning.
"Teachers who understand and use motivation principles may be better equipped to discover ways to construct joyful learning experiences....paying attention to what motivates their particular students will lead teachers to design motivational classrooms including activities that students perceive to be fun as a way to motivate them and spark their learning." p. 15
But what about professional learning?

What can I do as a school administrator to bring the motivational generalizations to the professional learning and development offered to school staff throughout their careers? 

What can I do as a school administrator to better ensure staff is motivated to learn and grow intentionally?



Inspired by pages 12-13, 31
See the chart here

To foster self-efficacy and a belief of competence I can:

  • celebrate and promote staff accomplishments and growth
  • give specific improvement centered feedback
  • find out how staff members perceive their own ability to learn certain things
To promote high attributions and solidify a belief about control I can:
  • have clear expectations and benchmarks
  • learn new material alongside staff
  • use self-assessments to determine professional learning offerings
To tap into interest and intrinsic motivation I can:

  • find out what interests the staff
  • design PD that models engaging and motivating teaching practice
  • build a community of learners
  • intentionally set up interest-based interactions amongst staff members
To ensure high levels of personal value I can:
  • design PD around shared priorities and values
  • participate in my own learning activities
  • build in opportunities for individualization and application
To provide a path to success I can:
  • model how ideas can be applied to the classroom
  • design action oriented PD sessions and meetings
  • connect similarly interested staff in purposeful ways
  • offer multiple follow up opportunities for interested staff
How else? What else can school leaders motivate their staff to continue to learn and grow?

#motivation #professionaldevelopment #savmp

*Pintrich, 2003




No comments:

Post a Comment