Sunday, February 2, 2014

Moving From Taught to Learned

I've Been thinking about the concept of something taught vs learned since participating in #fhspantherchat on Twitter with educators from my wife's school, how we can differentiate between the two, and how we can help people get to the learned from the taught.




When it's learned I know why I'm doing it, and why it's to my benefit.

I've taught a lot of people a lot of things, but how many have learned from me?

Are they still able to do it, recall it, discuss it, etc?

What can I do get more of my people beyond taught and into learned?

How can I bridge what is taught in school and what they need to learn?

20 ways off the top of my head:

  1. give them an authentic audience
  2. give immediate feedback
  3. start with more assistance but gradually remove
  4. start slow but build speed one step at a time
  5. don't demand memorization; aim higher
  6. provide visual and auditory instructions and demonstrations
  7. give them time to visualize and reflect at the beginning and end
  8. arrange for multiple inputs at multiple times
  9. get them writing or speaking about it early and often
  10. record them doing it and discuss it
  11. record and reflect in whatever way works for them so they can focus on the skill or concept
  12. be mindful of the rigor
  13. make sure it's relevant
  14. create relationships conducive for learning
  15. let them do as much of it from the start as possible
  16. give as little help as necessary for completion
  17. model what you'd do, but be open to variations
  18. make them talk to you or anybody about it as they're doing it
  19. any activity is better than idleness
  20. provide multiple opportunities for demonstration / output
How else? What can we as teachers / leaders / coaches help move skills, concepts, thoughts, etc from taught to learned?







No comments:

Post a Comment