Friday, July 12, 2013

Advice: Do Your Reading

It seemed endless at first, but it was the best investment I could've made

 


I’m feeling strong two weeks into my new assistant principal position at my new school largely because I’ve completed all my reading - every student file, the Program of Studies, the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the student handbook, the progressive discipline guide, School Committee policies, and pretty much every page/link on the school’s website; I’m excited to come back Monday to start week 3, and I'm ready to use my new knowledge of the school’s policies, practices, and offerings in conjunction with every else I already knew.

Doing the reading never gets the attention it deserves, but isn’t that one of the clear differences between the successful and unsuccessful? I know the laws, I know how to work with and lead people, I know about blended learning and essential questions, but how much influence would I wield or how much good would I be to the organization if I don’t know what we do and don’t do/offer? Sitting down and doing the reading is the first time administrator in July's equivalent of walking the walk; it isn't glamourous and it surely won't be what I hang my hat on, but it was the critical step I needed to take to insure my own effectiveness moving forward.

Some of it was dry and some of it became redundant, but the difference between seeing myself as an outsider on Monday compared to an insider on Friday validates all the highlighter marks on the side of my left hand and time spent secluded in quiet this week. I feel prepared to take my pre-existing skills, beliefs, and knowledge and apply them in the specific context of my new school.

Before I did my reading that application would not have been possible, and as we all know it’s the application and implementation of knowledge & ideas that determines success and impact. I'm striving for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment