Thursday, September 8, 2011

Edmodo Reflections Day 1

Achieving a 100% active class participation rate in a given session is a great feat.  Even on my best of performances as a teacher, universal participation in a given outing eludes me more often than not.  I've always had luck with engaging students and enticing them to want to participate in discussions, but there always seems to be someone who abstains from the conversation.  As rare as 100% active participation in a class period is, seeing it in two different gatherings on the same day rivals Haley's Comet in frequency.

Day 1 of introducing and utilizing Edmodo in two classes produced universal participation both times, and I cannot wait to do this with my three remaining classes tomorrow.  Students appreciated the simplicity of signing up and entering the Group.  They were very fond of and comfortable with the interface,  commenting repeatedly on the similarities with Facebook.  Students easily unpacked the features, such as the library, and already seemed more comfortable with it than me in certain regards.  Finally, and most importantly, the discussion we had regarding Just War Theory and concept of a Good & Bad war produced articulation, depth, and resource sharing at levels I have certainly never seen before during the first week of school.  I am excited to continue to explore the possibilities of Edmodo with all of my classes this year, and very much look forward to further great collaborative discussions with my students using various modules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment